I’ve been trying to figure out what to write as the”year in review” type of post that I normally do. I don’t feel like we made any progress toward anything. Not riding, not trailering, not showing, not toward lessons…
I was so gung-ho this spring. I had it all planned out. I was going to take lessons, start hauling Joy to new venues, hit a couple of shows… but then it came to a grinding halt when she mysteriously came up lame in May. It took nearly three months to resolve that. After that, it was like starting over. I had a butter ball pony that had regressed back to a scaredy cat anywhere off the immediate property (even on the next-door neighbors property).
I spent the remainder of the year in a “Screw it” mentality. No expectations, no pressure, no goals that would drive me insane when I didn’t hit them. I focused on increasing Joy’s suppleness, attempted to get that hind end directly behind her instead of off to the left, and help her find a better balance.
I spent more time with Ava. Ava’s feet were finally grown out enough from the bout of laminitis that I could start working her again. I put my time into increasing Ava’s fitness to see if I could get her back into some semblance of “dressage” shape. And even if dressage wasn’t possible, we were still having fun crashing through trails and galloping around the fields.
Things were going swimmingly with Ava. She was getting more and more fit. She went from barely able to trot more than 100 yards in early spring, to galloping the entire length of the field by end of fall.
December hit and Ava went lame again. I thought it was laminitis, again… that weird stance.. but by day two it seemed to oddly be affecting only one leg.
So, overall, a rather unproductive year with lots of annoying problems. And I have the dubious honor of experiencing my first abscess. So there’s that.
Here’s hoping 2017 is a bit more productive!!
Joy’s Year in Review Video Recap (6:33 mins long):
Goals for 2017
- I have a line on a local instructor who has agreed to (try to) help me this spring.
- I’m going to go watch a friend take a few lessons this winter (better than nothing until I can haul the pony there).
- I’m going to work on increasing my overall fitness and decrease my weight.
- I need at least 30 minutes of cardio 5x a week.
- I need to increase my flexibility and symmetry (greatly) so that I stop falling to the right.
- Get Out and About
- Get Joy hauling safely.
- Start hauling Joy off property
- Start taking Joy to lessons.
- Take Joy to at least one small show
- Take Ava to one of the state parks for a group trail ride with friends.
- Tack Room
- Figure out how to prevent all my tack from molding!!!
- Increase length of arena
- Continue work on making it somewhat level